John T. Niles
Married: Rosemary Hills.
Children of John T. Niles and Rosemary Hills1
Attended Rural School after the removal of his parents to Smyrna, Chenango
Co. N.Y. in 1938. John remained on the home farm near Smyrna with his father,
and entered into a farm partnership with his parents, who owned a large
dairy farm and purebred
Holstein herd there. In 1949, they sold this farm and purchased another in
North Sherburne village2, considered
one of the best in the county. It had a very large
barn, and a large two
family house. Here was kept a purebred Holstein herd of 110 to 125 head.
Upon the death of his father, John continued the farm operations
in Sherburne, until 1967 when he was bought out by the Town of Sherburne
for their new high school. John then removed to West Edmeston N.Y.,
where he purchased two adjoining farms and continued dairying. In
1987 he discontinued dairying and operated a herd of beef cattle.
He is presently enjoying full retirement, staying busy with garden,
workshop and other hobbies.
1 Stanley J. Niles
2 Present location of the
Sherburne-Earlville Central School.